On Saturday, Nov. 7, the Monticello Central High School Chapter #1694 of the National Speech and Debate Association hosted its 33rd annual Dr. Robert J Kaiser Debate Invitational, virtually. There were 28 schools competing with 334 student contestants and more than 100 judges that debated, performed, orated, spoke extemporaneously, acted and urged the Senate and the House of Representatives’ student style to pass legislation.
Though done in a different modality this time, winners were crowned, and public speaking skills were enhanced by all.
Special thanks to coaches, Rose Joyce-Turner and Jeanine Nielsen for ensuring that the MHS Speech and Debate Team carry on its tradition for its 63rd year. As the host of the tournament, Monticello students did not compete.
The Kaiser tournament is a long-standing tradition at MHS and is named for Robert J. Kaiser who, when he was superintendent here, was an enormous supporter of our debate team.
Event School Student Name
- Varsity Oral Intepretation – Convent of the Sacred Heart, NYC – Selma Zuaiter
- JV Oral Interpretation – Bronx HS of Science – Maysa Maryam
- Declamation – Regis – Jack Rachinsky
- Dramatic Perfomance – Regis – Juan Arturo Trillo
- Duo Interpretation – Regis HS – Matthew Balduri and Eamon Tracey
- JV Extemporaneous Speaking – Scarsdale HS – Anjali Schoetz
- Varsity Extemporaneous Speaking – The Collegiate School – Oliver Fuisz
- Programmed Oral Interpretation – Regis HS – Graham Johnson
- Original Oratory – Bronx HS of Science – Bailey Stephen
- Student Congress House – Bronx HS of Science – Lucas Donigian
- Student Congress Senate – The Loyola School – Olivia Pusquerella
- JV Lincoln Douglas Debate Acton – Boxborough HS, MA – Anya Mittal
- JV Lincoln Douglas Top Speaker Acton – Boxborough HS – Anya Mittal
- Novice Lincoln Douglas Top Speaker – Scarsdale HS – Lana Weiser
- Novice Lincoln Douglas – Needham HS, MA – Maya Echambadi
- Varsity Public Forum Top Speaker – Lexington HS, MA – Alex Hristov
- Varsity Publc Forum Debate – Regis HS – Antonio Clemente and Conor Geelan
- JV Public Forum Top Speaker – Regis HS – Hugh Kane
- JV Public Forum Debate – Regis HS – Hugh Kane and Shane Stesner
- Novice Public Forum Speaker – Regis HS – Tuilaepa Katonga
- Novice Public Forum Debate – Regis HS – Francesco Agnello and David Biviano
- Novice Policy Debate Top Speaker – Brooklyn Tech HS – Calvin King
- Novice Policy Debate Team – Brooklyn Tech HS – Yan Zhen Zhu