There are three seats on the Monticello Board of Education that are up for election this year. Are you interested in running for one of them?
Candidate packets are available during normal business hours at the Monticello Central School District administrative offices, located at 60 Jefferson Street, Suite 3, in the village of Monticello. Packets must be completed and returned to the district clerk’s office by 5 p.m. on Monday, April 17.
Full qualifications for potential Board candidates
To qualify for membership on a school board, an individual:
1. Must be able to read and write.
2. Must be a qualified voter of the district, that is, he/she must be a citizen of the United States.
3. At least eighteen years or older.
4. Not be a convicted felon or have been adjudged incompetent.
5. Must be and have been a resident (but need not be a taxpayer) of the district for a continuous and uninterrupted period of at least one year immediately before the election.
6. May be the only member of his/her family (defined as those within the same household) on the school board.
7. May not simultaneously hold another incompatible public office.
8. May not be a current employee of the school board.
9. Must not have been removed from a school district office within one year of the election.
If you have any questions, please call the District Clerk’s Office at 794-7700, ext. 70523.
Please note that “electioneering” is prohibited within 100 feet of the polling place
Running for a school board: what all prospective members should know
Learn more about the roles and responsibilities of a school board member from the New York State School Boards Association
For more information about candidate packets, please contact District Clerk Janet Lybolt at JLybolt@k12mcsd.net or by calling 845-794-7700 ext. 70523
SCSBA will host workshop for prospective board candidates
The Sullivan County School Board Association will host a virtual prospective school board member workshop on Tuesday, April 11 at 5:30 p.m.
This is a free virtual workshop for Sullivan County residents, who are interested in running for a school district board of education position.
Please register by Tuesday, March 28, 2023 with SCSBA Executive Director Lisa Sibirtzeff at firstname.lastname@example.org