Students briefly evacuated at MHS this morning due to smoke in library

At approximately 11:25 a.m. on Monday, May 13, a portable battery unit began emitting smoke inside of Monticello High School’s library. The high school was evacuated as Monticello Fire Department and other local first responders attended to the incident. The MFD removed the device, and installed an extraction fan to vent the library. Once the smoke cleared, MFD conducted air quality testing in and around the library and cleared the building for re-occupancy. Out of an abundance of caution, our facilities team has installed a HEPA air filter inside of the library, and that room will be closed for the remainder of the day to filter any lingering odors.

Students and staff returned to the building at 12:05 p.m., and normal operations have resumed in all other parts of the school. No injuries were reported, and all students and staff are accounted for. High school administration will reach out directly to the parents and caregivers of students who were inside of the library when the incident occurred.

We thank our staff and students for their cooperation in a quick evacuation process. The district is also grateful to the MFD, the Monticello Police Department and the Sullivan Country Sheriff’s Department for their assistance in responding to today’s event.