Please note: To those residents who wish to pay their taxes in person, the tax office has moved to 60 Jefferson Street, Suite 3, Monticello.
The tax office will be open from Tuesday, Sept. 1, 2020 to Friday, Nov. 20, 2020, from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 1 to 3:30 p.m. The office will be closed on school holidays: Sept. 7, Sept. 28, Oct. 12 and Nov. 11.
School Tax Bills:
School tax bills are mailed to taxpayers at the beginning of September. Collection for 2020/2021 year payments made through Sept. 30 are without penalty. Payments made between Oct. 1 and Oct. 31 are charged a 1 percent penalty. Payments made between Nov. 1 and Nov. 20 are charged a 2 percent penalty. Payments are accepted by the school district until Nov. 20.
Unpaid school taxes will be re-levied to your January property tax bill, compounded with 7 percent interest.
Payments are accepted on or before Nov. 20, 2020 as follows:
- Mail the tax bill along with payment to:
Monticello Central School District
P.O. Box 4250
Buffalo, NY, 14240-4250.
- Overnight packages should be mailed to:
M&T Bank, Tax Lockbox
626 Commerce Drive
Amherst, NY 14228.
Payments must be postmarked by Nov. 20, 2020.
- Pay in person at the Monticello Central School District Tax Office, located at 60 Jefferson Street, Suite 3, Monticello, NY 12701. The MCSD Tax Office is open Monday through Friday, from Sept. 1 through Nov. 20, 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 1 to 3:30 p.m., excluding school holidays.
- Credit cards and electronic check payments will also be accepted online at infotaxonline.com from Sept. 1 to Nov. 20. A charge of $1.50 will be assessed for electronic check payments; for credit and debit cards, a 2.65 percent fee (minimum of $3) will be charged.
Taxes may be paid in full as follows:
- Sept. 1, 2020 through Sept. 30, 2020 without penalty
- Oct. 1 through Oct. 31 with 1 percent interest penalty
- Nov. 1 through Nov. 20 with 2 percent interest penalty
Postmark is considered date of payment. However, mailed payments must be received by Dec. 2, 2020. Payments received after Dec. 2, regardless of postmark, may be returned.
School taxes will not be accepted at the Sullivan County Treasurer’s Office.
Taxpayers may pay in three installments as follows:
- 50% of total bill due by Sept. 30
- 25% of total bill due by Oct. 31 with a 1 percent interest penalty
- 25% of total bill due by Nov. 20 with a 2 percent interest penalty
*In order to participate in the installment program, you must pay the first installment no later than Sept. 30. If the first installment payment is made after this date, you will not be allowed to pay in installments.
The Monticello Central School District Board will continue to offer the installment payment option. When paying the taxes in full, mail your entire bill with payment by September 30, 2020. A receipt will be mailed to you.
When paying by installment, mail the receiver’s stub marked Payment #1 and the amount indicated by Sept. 30, 2020. The next payment with the stub marked Payment #2 will give you the choice of second installment or second and third installments. This must be paid by Oct. 31, 2020. These amounts include 1 percent interest. The final Payment #3 is due by Nov. 20, 2020. You will have the option of paying the third installment or the second and third installment. These amounts include 2 percent interest.
Incorrect Payment Notice:
Any incorrect payments will be returned and can cause additional penalties.
New York state homeowners can reduce their school taxes through the statewide school tax relief program, STAR. Basic STAR is available to anyone who owns and lives in his or her own home and does not exceed the $500,000 income level or Enhanced STAR is available to senior homeowners whose incomes do not exceed the statewide standard. Property owners may visit the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance’s website to register or to learn more information. Those without access to a computer may register by phone weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. by calling 518-457-2036.