page top

red arrow bulletNews

Electrical fire at Emma C. Chase Elementary this morning

no students or teachers were in school yet

May 17, 2016

Two employees from Emma C. Chase Elementary School extinguished a small electrical fire in the school's main lobby early this morning.

There were no teachers or students in the school at the time of the fire, which ignited at 6:15 a.m. after a custodian plugged in a vacuum into a wall outlet.  Firefighters from the Wurtsboro Fire Department arrived at the school at 6:22 a.m. and inspected the lobby and outlet and cleared the building for safety at 6:25 a.m.

No one was injured. There is no smoke in the building and the wall outlet has been replaced. 

The school is operating on its regular schedule. Residents from the Mamakating district will still be able to vote on the 2016-17 budget proposal and board of education election from 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. in the Chase gymnasium.