The Mamakating Library is launching its new Teen Summer Reading Program for students 12 and up.
The reading program officially launches on June 22 with a magic show by Joe Fischer, but teens may begin participating in the program now. They can earn Library Bucks by reading, completing missions and playing games on the ReadSquared site, completing library bingo and attending library events. Then they can use their bucks for the chance to bid on great prizes, including gift cards to Twin Cone, The Castle Family Fun Center, books, a book box and a mystery box.
The teen events scheduled for the summer are free, require registration and include:
- Design a Planter – Friday, June 28, 4 to 5 p.m.
- Open Mic Coffee House – Friday, July 5, 7 to 8:30 p.m.
- Ninja Night – Wednesday, July 10, 7 to 8:30 p.m.
- Battle for Earth: Humans vs. Aliens – Saturday, July 13, 4 to 6 p.m.
- Origami – Friday, July 26, 4 to 6 p.m.
- Game Night – Wednesday, July 31, 3 to 5 p.m.
- Bullet Journaling – Friday, Aug. 2, 4 to 6 p.m.
Students are encouraged to check out the library’s ReadSquared book lists. Middle school students are encouraged to join the Middle School Book Club: The SRP Sleuths for students in grades 6 to 8. The club runs from Tuesday, July 2 through Tuesday, Aug. 6 and meets weekly from 1 to 2 p.m.
The culmination of the summer reading program is the Grand Finale Teen Summer Reading party and auction on Tuesday, Aug. 13, from 6 to 7:30 p.m. There will be snacks, games and prizes.
Register at the library or online.
The library is located at 128 Sullivan Street, Wurtsboro. Call 845-888-8004 for more information.