School Tax Bills:
School tax bills are mailed to taxpayers at the end of August every year. Payments made through Oct. 3 are without penalty. Payments made between Oct. 4 and Oct. 31 are charged a 1% penalty. Payments made between Nov. 1 and Nov. 30 are charged a 2% penalty. Payments are accepted by the school district only until Nov. 2.
Payments made after Nov. 2 are turned over to the Sullivan County Treasurer and must be paid by cash, credit card or certified check only. The Treasurer’s Office collects from Nov. 15 to Nov. 30 only. Unpaid school taxes will be re-levied to your January property tax bill, compounded with 7% interest. The Sullivan County Treasurer’s Office is located 100 North Street, Monticello NY 12701. For more information regarding late payments, contact the Treasurer’s Office at (845) 807-0200.
Payments made before Nov. 2 can be done as follows:
- Mail the tax bill along with payment to: Monticello Central School District, P.O Box 4250, Buffalo, NY, 14240-4250. Payments must be postmarked by due date to avoid penalties.
- Pay in person at the Monticello Central School District Tax Office located at 22 St. John Street, (entrance to the tax office is located on Bedford Ave.) Monticello NY 12701. The MCSD Tax Office is open from Sept. 4 through Nov. 2, Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., excluding holidays.
- Credit cards and electronic check payments will also be accepted online at infotaxonline.com from Sept. 4 to Nov. 2. A charge of $1.50 will be assessed for check payments; for credit and debit cards, a 2.65 percent fee (minimum of $3) will be charged.
Taxes can be paid in full as follows:
- Sept. 4 through Oct. 3 without penalty
- Oct. 4 through October 31 with 1% interest penalty
- Nov. 1 through November 30 with 2% interest penalty (Payments are accepted by the school district only until Nov. 2; after that they must be made to the Sullivan County Treasurer’s Office as noted above.)
*Postmark is considered date of payment.*
Taxpayers may pay in three installments as follows:
- 50% of total bill due by Oct. 3
- 25% of total bill due by Oct. 31 with a 1% interest penalty
- 25% of total bill due by Nov. 30 with a 2% interest penalty (Payments are accepted by the school district only until Nov. 2; after that they must be made to the Sullivan County Treasurer’s Office as noted above.)
*In order to participate in the installment program, you must pay the first installment no later than October 3.*
Incorrect Payment Notice:
Any incorrect payments will be returned and can cause additional penalties.
New York state homeowners can reduce their school taxes through the statewide school tax relief program, STAR. Basic STAR is available to anyone who owns and lives in his or her own home and does not exceed the $500,000 income level or Enhanced STAR is available to senior homeowners who incomes do not exceed the statewide standard. Property owners may visit the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance’s website to register or to learn more information. Those without access to a computer may register by phone weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. by calling 518-457-2036.